Newborn Essentials: Are you Really Prepared?
It’s quite easy to become overwhelmed while registering for a baby shower for the first time. You might be persuaded by both physical and online stores that you require everything they have to offer. However, the list of newborn essentials is quite condensed. It’s crucial to know which products are necessary and which are just extras before you spend a small fortune. We’ve compiled this list based on our own and other parents’ experiences to help you cut through the hype.
As the due date approaches, there are many things to prepare, and gathering all the needs for your infant might be a difficult process. Find out what you’ll need for your baby’s first three months with the help of this newborn essentials checklist, along with a few more “can-consider” to think about. Our list contains necessities for the nursery, as well as goods for practical stuff for when you’re out and about. You’ll feel more ready for the day you get to bring your baby home once you have these things.
Key Points to Consider Before Buying Newborn Essentials:
- Ensure that all newborn infant supplies are manufactured of non-toxic materials and are completely BPA-free.
- Items for new babies should be constructed of high-quality, environmentally friendly silicon.
- The newborn infant clothing should also be comfortable and breathable. These items are thought to be the greatest for newborn newborns because they don’t irritate their delicate skin and let the baby breathe.
- Place the newborn’s comfort, ease, and safety at the top of your priority list.
List of Newborn Essentials that a Baby Needs:
It can be difficult to determine which baby supplies are necessary and which ones you can skip. Brand-name apparel is not necessary for your kid, but how about a humidifier or a towel with a hood? What is absolutely necessary versus what is merely good to have isn’t always obvious. The truth is that not all newborn baby necessities really are necessities. We don’t require pacifiers or breast pumps to care for our children because humans have existed without them for thousands of years.
However, modern living necessitates a few additional objects because we no longer reside in the Stone Age. For instance, it’s hard to live without diapers. The same is true for cleaning agents and bath products. Here is your comprehensive list of newborn essentials:
Infants require more clothing than everyone else. You will need several sets of clothing for the baby because they will need to pee and poop frequently. However, avoid getting the newborn infant something overly ritzy or frilly. Such garments may be excessively harsh for the newborn in addition to being pricey. The finest clothing for babies is simple, cotton-made, and reasonably priced. In addition to onesies, you’ll need 6-8 pairs of baby socks, caps appropriate for the weather and frequency of outings, and baby sleepers. Bodysuits are another fantastic option to include on your list of newborn baby essentials because you can pull them over your baby’s head and fasten them under the diaper. When your youngster blows out their diaper, the elastic neckline allows you to simply pull the soiled bodysuit down over his or her head.
Take care of the following points while buying baby clothes:
- Avoid purchasing an excessive amount of newborn apparel because the child will outgrow it quickly. Since the baby’s clothes will need to be replaced several times, keep them on the less expensive and budget-friendly side.
- When purchasing baby clothes, consider how frequently you will be doing laundry and the weather.
- If you live in a warm climate and intend to stay inside, you can completely forgo headwear. But if you reside somewhere cold, you should wear a thick wool hat to properly protect your ears from the elements.
- Sleeping bags are a better option for infants than blankets since they are more practical. Because sleeping bags are more difficult to kick off than blankets are, your toddler will sleep through the night less frequently because of the cold.
- Choose onesies that have mittens rather than purchasing them separately because they won’t slip off. Additionally, this will prevent the infant from rubbing their face. You should purchase at least 5 to 6 pairs because you will need them, particularly in the first several weeks.
Breastfeeding and bottle-feeding:
Breastfeeding is a must for the first 6 months of your baby’s birth. However, you should also buy a complete bottle-feeding kit along with pacifier and bottle covers as well. In actuality, bottle-feeding kits are important items for new mothers. Amazing bottle-feeding sets are now affordably priced on the Indian market. Just make sure the products are devoid of contaminants like BPA. After the infant reaches the age of six months, you should start looking for a feeding kit that includes fruit nibblers and dishes that won’t spill.
A 360-degree bottle feeding set is one of the best things for new babies and is something that the baby must have. Every new mom should purchase this since it makes feeding time enjoyable and simple.
Points to Consider Before Buying a Bottle Feeding Set:
- Silicon-based feeding bottles, a 360-degree spill-proof bowl, and a cleaning brush set should be included in your bottle feeding set.
- To maintain the feeding bottle’s cleanliness, you need a set of cleaning brushes. Use baby-safe cleaning products when cleaning the feeding bottle, and make sure your feeding set contains a spoon feeder. Even while travelling, feeding your semi-solids without creating a mess is possible with a silicone spoon feeder.
- Additionally, having a complete bottle feeding set will spare you from having to constantly defend your newborn’s dish and spoon.
- Another fantastic thing to add to your list of essentials for a newborn baby is a heat-sensitive bottle cover. The bottle cover shields it from bumps and drops. The silicone bottle covers come with gripping that baby needs to make a firm grip while feeding.
Also Read: Learn How to Feed Your Baby
You will need at least 10 to 12 diapers per day because newborn babies defecate a lot. Diapers are the most important items a newborn infant needs, whether you choose to go the disposable or cloth route. Therefore, it is best to massively store up on diapers in advance. Make sure the diapers you choose are not just rash- and allergy-free, but also a good size—not too big or too little. You can get a diaper bag in addition to diapers, particularly if you intend to travel when the baby is still a tiny child. Nevertheless, purchasing a diaper bag is not necessary because you may put diapers in any tote bag.
A Travel Kit:
If you are a frequent traveler or have a trip anytime soon, it is best to invest in a traveling kit curated particularly to maintain the safety, comfort, convenience, and happiness of children and parents on the road. Instead of buying the travel items as separates, it gets more affordable to buy a kit containing a car booster seat, neck support pillow, seat belt holder, mat for protecting the seat, etc. The car booster seats not only safeguard your child but also make it convenient for them to reach the car windows and enjoy the scenery while traveling.
Relevant Read: Infant Care: What does a Newborn Needs?
Bed Rail Guards:
It’s crucial to always ensure the baby’s safety, inside and outside of your home. As infants typically spend much of their time napping, the bed is one such spot. Therefore, the baby need safety proofing of the area around the bed. Bed rail guards for safety are helpful in this situation. You can secure the sleeping area by yourself installing these rail guards.
Points to Consider to Buy the Best Bed Rail Guards:
- Make sure you purchase a bed rail guard that is of high quality, is tear-resistant, has entirely washable fabric, and is simple to install.
- Bed rail guards are a fantastic choice for guaranteeing a night of safe and peaceful sleep for your newborn. High enough rail guards are essential to prevent babies from falling and sustaining the weight of leaning babies.
Pet Safety Fence:
If you have furry friends at home, then it may get tough to ensure the baby’s safety. A good pet safety fence will prevent the pets from having access to a specific area of the house. A pet safety gate acts as an enclosure to make your doorway, hallways, and staircase safe for the toddler and pet.
Points to Consider Before Buying a Pet Safety Fence:
- The pet safety fence should be durable and sturdy as to endure the pets’ claws.
- Buy an easy-to-install and portable fence to use wherever and whenever needed. Easy to install and remove fences are best as you can simply pull the fence to any required width as per your need. Also, such fences save space as they can be retracted when not in use.
Relevant Read: Baby Feeding Bottles – How to Introduce It To Your Toddler?
A Complete Bathing Set:
Bathing your newborn is essential to maintain hygiene and eliminate the risk of infections. Thus, a bathing kit must be there in your new born baby items list. Some of the bathing-related things for your newborn baby include a good quality bathtub, a thermometer to check the temperature, a shampoo hat, a hair washing cup, etc.
Here is why you need bathing set for your Infant?
- A bathtub is a fundamental baby bathing item that you must include in your baby bath set when putting together a baby bathing kit. Bathing sessions are made easier and more fun by bathtubs that are the right size and are non-slip.
- Baby bath seat supports are very helpful in ensuring the baby’s safety when taking a bath. Bathing becomes unsafe and difficult for babies since they are little and slippery. A bath seat support keeps the infant in the tub so they don’t have to worry about slipping out.
- Infants and toddlers have a greater risk of developing eye infections regardless of the baby shampoo you use to wash their hair. This is why you absolutely must purchase a safety cap to shield your baby’s eyes from the toxins in shampoos. An eye-safety shampoo hat is truly one of the best baby bath products in India.
- Young children and even infants are extremely sensitive to temperature changes. Their still-developing immune is the cause of their heightened susceptibility. So, before taking a bath, the bathwater’s temperature must be checked. To guarantee that the room and warm water temperatures are at their ideal levels, a digital thermometer is a crucial investment.
- Maintaining hygiene is crucial for overall health, especially for infants. You ought to utilise a hair washing cup in addition to a baby shampoo and wash with a tear-free formula. To provide a thorough hair wash and maintain the softness of your baby’s hair, it is a perfect product to include in their bathing kit.
Child Walking Harness Safety Belt:
Babies require assistance during the learning process as they begin to crawl and walk. As a result, using a harness safety belt is a terrific alternative that not only helps to ensure safety but also gives infants the support they need as they learn to walk. A sturdy walking harness belt will aid the youngster in developing his standing and, eventually, walking skills. The infant will also develop better balance and self-assurance while walking. As they are no longer required to stoop to hold the child, parents are guaranteed comfort and are spared backaches.
Points to Consider Before Buying a Child Walking Harness Safety Belt:
- Check that the toddler’s movement is not restricted by the harness and that it is comfortable. Ensure that the baby’s arms are not pulled or twisted by the harness. The harness should also be breathable with strong air permeability so that the toddler does not feel strangled.
- The harness should have adjustable straps and safety buckles to minimise backaches from bending over and can be used even when the baby becomes a bit older while learning to walk.
- One of the most requested newborn baby necessities, a good walking harness belt will enable the baby to learn to walk properly without the risk of falls and injuries.
Also Read: Infant Care: What does a Newborn Needs?
One of the best newborn baby essentials to get is a durable and strong stroller, which will increase the baby’s portability and safety. It not only helps you carry the baby off your back, but it also makes moving around more convenient. For both the pusher and the passenger, a high-quality, comfortable baby stroller is essential in addition to being convenient.
Points to Consider to Buy the Best Baby Stroller:
- When buying a stroller for the infant, make sure the seats are softly padded. The infant should be able to sit in the stroller in a variety of positions, depending on whether they are active, relaxed, or drowsy.
- Additionally, there are strollers on the market with a convertible handlebar that allow you to position the baby either facing you or the front while riding. The stroller should feature an adjustable footrest for easy movement of the footrest.
- Choosing a stroller that can support your baby’s weight even as he grows larger is a sensible choice.
- A stroller with an extensible canopy protects against bright sunshine and drizzles when strolling.
- Most essential, the stroller needs to provide the maximum level of safety to safely support the infant. The finest options are strollers that include safety straps. The stroller must feature single-step operation brakes in addition to harnesses so that it can stop instantly when necessary.
- A baby stroller with additional pockets to store necessary stuff is perfect to provide convenience.
- The greatest strollers are foldable models because they are portable and take up little room.
A Multi-Purpose Portable Closet to Store Newborn Essentials:
With a newborn, numerous items for babies ranging from products for grooming, bathing, playing, and feeding gets stocked up. A sturdy and spacious yet portable closet is a must-have to store all newborn baby essentials. While buying a closet, make sure that it is portable, easy to carry, and has enough space so that you can use it for long-term storage needs. Also, a closet gets important to make sure that all the newborn baby items stay safe from infection.
Safety essentials for Newborn:
This category is a big one covering items such as pet fence, baby monitors, safety rails, bed rails, finger guards for hinged doors, bathing hats, corner guards, etc. Safety proofing your home space to prevent injuries to the newborn at all times is quite important. While the baby is an infant, you will surely need bed rail guards to prevent the newborn from falling. And when the baby grows into a toddler, the corner guards and finger safety guards are the two most important baby products. Baby monitors are the newborn essentials getting popular as safety gadgets as they allow the parents or caretakers to communicate with the baby through audio as well as video mode. No matter where you are, working on a project in the office or stuck in traffic, you can monitor your baby’s activities through a smartphone. Also, the baby monitors allow you to record precious moments of your newborn.
Relevant Read: What Smart Parents Do For Their Babies Protection?
What is the importance of essential newborn care?
A infant’s survival, growth, and development depend on parents having knowledge of the fundamentals of newborn care and applying it correctly. Despite its importance, the majority of medical professionals are unaware of and do not adhere to the World Health Organization guidance.
What is done immediately after birth?
An Apgar exam is performed one and five minutes after birth to gauge your baby’s heart rate, breathing, muscle tone, reflex response, and colour. While your baby is on your tummy resting, your doctor should be able to perform these quick examinations, allowing you to remain together.
What do you put on a newborn’s face?
Each eye should be cleaned with a wet, clean washcloth or cotton ball. Start at the bridge of the nose and move outward to the corner of the eye. Use a soft, wet washcloth without any soap to clean the remainder of the baby’s face. Using a soft washcloth, clean the ear’s outer folds.
What time is too late to bathe a newborn?
At any point during the day, you can bathe your child. Picking a moment when you’re at ease and won’t be interrupted is a fantastic idea. Additionally, it’s advisable to hold off on bathing your infant just after feeding or when they are hungry. If taking a bath calms your baby, you can utilise it to put him or her to sleep at night.
Should you moisturise a newborn?
At least once every day, moisturise your baby completely. If your family has a history of allergies like eczema, asthma, or hay fever, this is especially crucial. If your baby’s skin appears dry or flaky, moisturise twice daily and after every bath.
Can I use baby wipes on baby face?
Should you clean your baby’s face using baby wipes? Yes, you can use baby wipes to clean your child’s face after spitting up or messy eating, but it’s better to stay with soft, fragrance-free wipes.
How do you shower with a newborn?
Use warm water—not so hot that it quickly steams up the bathroom—and avoid spraying your child in the face. Make sure to keep your kid in the shower with you for no longer than a few minutes if you want your showers to be on the hotter side. Ask your partner to lend a hand if they are at home.
When can I give my baby a bath after the umbilical cord falls off?
After your kid is born, wait a few weeks before letting him or her in the bathtub. The umbilical cord should be left off and thoroughly healed before your baby is sponge bathed. After that, you can submerge your infant while supporting his or her head and neck at all times. Your infant does not require a bath each day.
How long is a newborn baby considered a newborn?
A baby is considered to be a newborn if they are under two months old. Children can range in age from birth to one year old and are regarded to be infants. Any child between the ages of birth and four is referred to as a baby, which includes newborns, babies, and toddlers.
When should you sterilize pacifiers?
When a pacifier or other item is sterilised, all bacteria, even those that aren’t necessarily hazardous to people, are fully eliminated. Before your infant uses a pacifier for the first time, always sterilise it to get rid of any bacteria or chemicals it might have gotten from the manufacturer.
What to Watch out for in Newborn Essentials?
It’s crucial to educate yourself about the ingredients in the items you use for your infant in a polluted world so that you are aware of what to watch out for and what to avoid. Look at a few typical offenders listed below.
Toxins in Newborn Oils
Mineral oils, which are frequently utilised since they are affordable and simple to obtain, make up the majority of infant oils on the market. Mineral oils, however, can clog pores and make it difficult for skin to breathe. Additionally, it develops a coating over the soft skin of infants, impeding the body’s normal detoxification process.
PEG or PPG, a mixture of vegetable glycerin and grain alcohol, may also be found in baby oils. Even while the component may seem natural and safe, the manufacturing process uses artificial chemicals that can result in hives or even eczema.
Common Toxins in Newborn Shampoos and Soaps
Most parents and their children get closer during the baby bath. You will always be happy to witness your child enjoying the peaceful activity. However, you’ve probably seen the spotless sea of froth in shampoo and soap advertisements. Sulphates, which are commonly included to baby soaps and shampoos, cause that. It could irritate a baby’s tender skin. These can harm your baby’s developing tissue if they get into their eyes.
Examine your labels for DEA, TEA, and MEA. These hormone-disrupting compounds are frequently utilised as emulsifiers or foaming agents in cosmetics and other consumer goods. If TEA is continuously absorbed by the body over an extended period of time, it can also be poisonous and cause allergic reactions such as dry skin, eye infections, and hair loss. Keep your baby away from anything that contains sulphates, of course.
Toxins in Newborn Lotions
You know how most people adore the calming “baby smell”? This typically results from a combination of baby lotions and products that have been used and your child’s natural aroma. However, however how nice it may be, scent should never be used on your baby’s delicate skin. These scents frequently contain phthalates, which studies have shown may have adverse effects on the liver or kidneys. Soft plastic toys, baby powders, shampoos, lotions, and perfumes used in baby items all contain phthalates.
Parabens are a different chemical to watch out for! Products use parabens to prevent bacterial growth and increase shelf life. While some parabens may be harmful, others have been shown to stimulate tumour growth. It is advised to stay away from them because there is no evidence to suggest which of them are dangerous. When purchasing for your baby, keep an eye out for “paraben-free” goods.
Check-Out for the Wordplay:
Remember to study the labels for your baby product brand even if it does not contain the components listed above because this is one trick that marketers may employ. It’s normal for trusting consumers to buy into marketing claims made by many well-known brands that use terms like “pure” and “natural,” believing that these products would be the best alternative at the best price. Despite the use of the terms pure, natural, and organic, research the substances and any potential adverse effects.
Additionally, manufacturers conceal dangerous substances by only listing “KEY” ingredients on the label. Always opt for organic items with clearly listed natural ingredients.
Where to find the Best Newborn Essentials for your Sunshine?
Babies need extra care and if you are worried about the health of your babies, Safe-o-Kid is there to take your burden out. Safe-O-Kid is a brand of Baby Safety Inc, a research-based organization committed to make world a safer place for kids.
Baby Safety Inc has dedicated itself to study of changing landscape of hazards that surround our kids and accordingly test new solutions to safeguard our children from these prevailing risks.
Our professionals have dedicated years of their life to child safety research and this is the result of their hard work that Baby Safety Inc has been able to regularly launch and update a comprehensive array of baby-proofing products under its brand Safe-o-Kid covering all possible aspects of a kid’s life and associated dangers.
As parents if you are struggling to manage time between your daily chores and caring babies these above baby safety products could waive-off some of your burdens. Safe-o-Kid (www.safeokid.com) is one such company that are dedicated to ensure safety for babies.
Safe-O-Kid is a brand of Baby Safety Inc, a research-based organization committed to make world a safer place for kids. Baby Safety Inc has dedicated itself to study of changing landscape of hazards that surround our kids and accordingly test new solutions to safeguard our children from these prevailing risks.