Smiles and rainbows protected by rails for windows
The greatest joy that one can feel is the rewarding experience of raising children. From the moment they are born till they become fully functional as well as self-reliant adults, every single step of the way seems almost enchanting. They need our guidance every waking and sleeping moment as babies, but as they mature their reliance on us dwindles. Along the journey, we understand many new things about the human mind. Keeping away from dangers and hazardous situations is something that we assumed we were born with; unfortunately, we could not be further away from the truth.
Unlike us, toddlers have absolutely no sense of danger and injury. We understand that a fall can be painful, sticking our hand where it doesn’t belong can lead to unwanted consequences. We forget though, that all these things were ingrained in us by our parents. We learned from experiences and were reprimanded strongly when we indulged in unsafe activities. Now it is up to us to pass along this wisdom to our little tots. To ensure that they remain safe from the many risks of daily life.
However, around the clock surveillance of these little munchkins is next to impossible. They are inept and unable to have coordinated movements. They fall over, hurt themselves, get boo-boos, cry, you have put aside your work and satiate them, they feel better only to fall again. On and on goes the vicious circle. So what can we do? Well! We can use baby-proofing items around our homes. One that we will be discussing today is the application of window guard rails.
What are window guard rails?
A window rail is designed such that it creates an artificial wall between your child and the open outdoors when your window is left open. Our homes have evolved into being window-centric. Small, hinged and framed windows have been replaced by large and uninterrupted glass facades that stretch from ceiling to floor as well as wall to wall. They look very elegant and they let in natural light as well as fresh air. They keep the home temperature regulated and give a breathtaking view of the outdoors. The downside to this? Our toddlers don’t seem to understand that they should steer clear from leaning out of or standing on the window ledge. They see a window of opportunity! 🙂 To learn, explore, understand, and better their tiny little brains! But faultless curiosities can oft result in dreadful consequences. These window side rails can be applied onto the window and ensure that their curiosities are allowed to burgeon but with a cap on the upper limit. They form removable ‘grills’ of sorts over your window that won’t let more than a hand pass through.
What is the need for a window guard rail?
- Imagine this. You are on an important work zoom call, one that will determine the trajectory of your career. A large bird whisks by your window and grabs your child’s attention. They are enamored but get back to building blocks. Again the bird flies by. This time your child makes up their mind, they must play with their new bird friend. They slowly shuffle towards the window and proceed to open it. The sliding windows have been recently installed and are extremely smooth. Having opened the window, they step onto the windowsill, one foot at a time, giggling all the way. They reach their hand out to call the birdie towards them and their footing weakens. They start swaying trying to maintain balance…that is when you walk in; zoom call aced! Nothing could possibly go wrong until you walked in on a sight that not even your nightmares could fathom. You run towards your munchkin and swiftly swoop them into your hands, relieved and exasperated, not knowing how to react, not knowing what could have happened, had you been a few seconds late.
- Now, what if you had bought a safety rail for that window? Well, it would have prevented any form of imminent disaster. Your child would still be able to observe the birdie and make friends but not put themselves in the way of imminent disaster.
- This is one of the many situations in which a window rail guard can be an invaluable asset add-on to your home.
On what types of windows can window guard rails be installed?
- In short? On all of them. These are designed keeping in mind that everyone’s homes have windows in different shapes, sizes, and types.
- Flat windows, bay windows, sliding windows, removable sliding windows, you name it and it can be protected.
- They can be positioned horizontally or vertically based on your need and look elegant one way or the other.
What tools will you need to fix a window guard rail?
Actually, nothing! They come in a free size that can extend or contract based on your need. You may even choose to cover only half the window. They come with easy installation clips that can be glued in place. Alternatively, the good old-fashioned vacuum cups can be used to keep them in place. Either way, even when significant pressure is applied, these guards are unlikely to budge from their position. With the ease of installation, all your handyman woes are gone and your child can be saved from countless dangerous possibilities.
How durable are window guard rails?
Window side rails are made from either polycarbonate, plastic or metal. They are constructed with longevity in mind and are as such, maintenance free once installed. They are corrosion resistant and will stay in place for years. You can buy them with the intent of resuming them for baby number two and so on. So don’t you worry, this investment is one which will give you returns for years to come!
What are some additional uses of window guard rails?
- Even once our child outgrows the window rail, it can be kept in place for any pets that you may have. An unusually bouncy dog or an agile cat won’t be able to escape out your window again.
- These window safety rails won’t take away from the overall beauty of your home. They are intelligently designed to blend in and appear like they were always part of the original plan. Since these are built sturdily, you can consider using them as support to grow your plants. Creepers can easily conform to the shape and you can soon have half a window covered with a majestic money plant! This way the window rail may actually add another dimension to the look of your home. Not only will you prevent unforeseen disasters but also your home’s style quotient will go up! Win-win!
With the ongoing pandemic, our lives have largely conformed to an online existence. Normal working hours are a thing of the past as is the reliability of domestic help to look after our children. We are exhausted with our work and daily chores, our children, however, are literal balls of energy that can just go on and on and on. Between cooking, managing your child, and work, your life is becoming a chaotic mess. Trust us, you are not alone. Countless parents are all facing similar issues with their routines.
Keeping children inside is a laborious and thankless job. They don’t understand the implications of the pandemic and just yearn to go back to the park and play! Sitting and home and doing nothing is well, mind numbingly boring for these tiny tots. They then refocus that energy on exploring the surroundings, or, your home. Every nook and cranny, every drawer, and yes, every window. The only view they have of the outside is through the window and exploration of the unknown is what drives them. Their tiny minds are capable of soaking up myriads of new information every time they breathe and every time they blink.
A skewed depth perception, unstable legs, uncoordinated movements, an inquisitive mindset, and an open window together form a situation whose end result can mean a minor scratch at best. The possibilities beyond are grim and unthinkable. The easiest thing to do in this situation is to simply eliminate the threat. With the installation of window safety rails, your child won’t be able to fit more than their tiny limbs through the bars. The view of the outside will be interrupted by the occasional yet necessary vertical or horizontal bars. It may seem highly improbable that the above demonstrated scenarios may play out and actually harm your precious munchkin, the operative word being improbable. Even in the littlest, there lies the possibility that your child may not remain safe, despite all the predetermined protocols you have in place.
Why risk it needlessly when an effective, affordable, easily fixable, and simple solution is available? These window guard rails just make sense. Words really can’t express the usability and versatility of these archaic devices. But know this, of the thousand things that can go wrong in a day, with the purchase of this, that number will be nine hundred and ninety-nine.